Saturday, May 23, 2009

Misc. Thoughts and Things



























Just wanted to remind myself one day as I'm looking back on our time over here of some various and interesting things that have been brought to mind lately:
*The Bachelor and Bachelorette Party thing over here is taken quite seriously. On the weekend we usually see 2 or 3 different groups walking all over town. We have witnessed and even participated in different aspects of these occassions. We have signed the shirt of a mobile party going down the road, seen shots of alcohol being taken with random strangers to the party, and the funniest thing we have seen (at least Bryan thinks so) is a group of Men with t-shirts on them that said "Game Over". It is truly a funny shirt, but when you stop to think about the fact that their language is not English - it is German - it is extra amusing. Bryan decided if he ever got married again - this ensemble would be a must.
*Mia told Me the other day that I wasn't pretty because I didn't wear a princess dress and crown or high heels :-( (I guess I better step it up a notch or 2)
*Mia's bike is the greatest invention that we have seen - and SOOOO Simple. The theory is that a tricycle helps you ride a bike, but you are not really riding a bike beacuse you aren't balancing in the least bit. The little kids over here, instead (of tricycles), ride real bikes withought pedals and instead use their feet to move. It serves as fast transportation, while also quickly teaching kids to balance. It is amazing how young some of these kids learn to ride. It is probably one of the coolest things that we have seen.
*Speaking of Bikes...last weekend all 5 of us went for a bike ride. When we were stopped at a street light, Mia announced to me that we were just like the family on the Sound of Music - I thought that so cute that she even remembered that!
*Today we went to a festival in town and of all things the theme was "Americana." It was fun to see what "Americana" was like to the Germans. The theme was "Wild West" and there was even a bull ride. Too funny.
*When our friends came back from living in Germany, they said the hardest thing to get used to was how loud the restaurants are in the States. I whole heartedly agree, because the entire country here (o.k., maybe I'm exaggerating a little) is sooo quiet. Our family has single handedly raised the decibel level by at least 5 notches. We are so loud! I even thought we were loud back in the states, but here it is strikingily noticable. I never have to worry where anyone is because all I have to do is listen. It is one of the hardest things to get used too. Quite amusing!!!
*It's sounds pretty bad when your 8 year old is telling his friend how cool a particular Bier Garten (Beer Garden) is - because he has been there once or twice - and it really is cool for him (playground and all).
*It's extra bad when your 4 year old daughter recognizes the elf that is on the truck of our favorite beer and yells - Look Mommy and Daddy - Fassla!!!
*In all honesty, the Beer here is considered a food. It is part of meals, as are vegtables and meat. It is hard to get used to the fact that Beer is available everywhere at all times (for example; McDonalds, Lunch Breaks, Children's functions, Beer Machines in the Hotel Lobby - just like a Coke Machine, Church Functions etc. It is available everywhere, but rarely abused. It is interesting how this culture has created an atmosphere where it seems to work just fine. One other interesting note - you can drink at the age of 16, but can't drive until you are 18!

*Mia had her friend Megan sleep over last night. At 5:25 AM (yes, way too early) they were awake. They are so loud so I was able to hear Megan tell Mia how her Mom was in her Grandmom's tummy and then how she was in her Mom's tummy. I was a little sad that Mia couldn't say the same thing back to Megan. I will continue to tell her how special her circumstance is, but it made me stop and think. On the other hand, about 10 minutes later, Mia came into my room and said that her tummy didn't feel good and that she thinks she has a baby in it - SOOOO FUNNY!!!

*In the Spring, Summer and Fall we hardly ever see it dark here. It stays light until 9:30 and is light when we wake up at 5:30. The winter is another story though...






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,
I just woke up from a short nap. Skyler was with me today, and I was tired when he left.
Yesterday was a fabulous day for the Johnson family. My beautiful Calye graduated, and I was sooooo proud of her. I know she would be nervous and worried that she would faint, etc....., but she appeared as cool as a cucumber.
Christi hosted a special luncheon (does she ever not do things right?) afterwards. I was introduced to Jack, Calye's boyfriend's mother. She seems very nice. I really like Jack.
I will be leaving for HH Saturday. I am not asking a group of friends over this year. Two of my friends are retiring so I invited them; however, one is not going to be able to go. I think it will be a bit more relaxing this year. Lew and family are to come over on Wednesday.
Jay and family will follow on the weekend. I think Calye will stay with me for the entire second week. I really enjoyed my time with her last year. I wish Harrison would stay, but I doubt that he will be interested.
We are having rainy days here, but noone is complaining. Florida has areas that are flooded along the coast. My sister-in-law in Orlando said that she got 11 inches. That is a record even with the hurricanes that have gone through the state. Hopefully, there won't be as many brush fires this year.
I met your renters at Jay's yesterday. They are a nice family. They did not want to return to the states, and I understand why now that you have educated me on life in Germany. Keep your jouranling going. Enjoy the summer. Love and Prayers, gp

ChristiBob said...

Oh, how I LOVE seeig pictures of the kids !! They are getting so big, so fast. I LOVE Mia's pony tails - it's my favorite hairstyle on her. She is such a cutie - as is Bailey - talk about growing up !! And Camden - he looks more and more like Bryan everyday...

I can't believe you all have been gone for almost a year - it seems like eternity at times, but lately time seems to be flying by. I guess being busy makes it go faster. I was just sitting on the front porch thinking about all our good times - when did you say you were moving back???

Jay is going back to the "real world" tomorrow after his first furlow week - he's not looking forward to it AT ALL - I told him to take a sick day - A SICK OF WORK DAY!!!

Give everyone a BIG HUG from us -
we'll talk to you soon.
Christi