Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Our Massage Therapist...
While I cannot post any photos, I have a really funny/super cool story that I definitely do not want to forget.... Mia is in the 2nd grade. She only goes to school until 11:00 or 12:00 each day. A couple of days a week, she stays after school in an afternoon program that is a special thing that her school offers. She gets home work help, goes to a choir practice, eats lunch, and the newest thing is takes a massage course. By now, you have probably figured out that when the Germans do something, they do it right. I hadn't even realized that she had been picked to be in this course, until I picked her up unexpectedly early, and the teacher was disappointed that Mia would miss the first day of the class. Fast forward a month later to last night. Mia came home with a cute little array of lotions, and her face smelled so good. She informed us that she learned to massage the face yesterday. After dinner, we were all kind of sitting around, and I asked Mia if she could show me what she learned. OH MY GOSH!!!! She is truly learning the art of Massage from a real Massage Therapist - I had no idea how "real" this class was. She turned down the lights, asked if we could put slow "earthy" type music on, and wanted to light candles. She stood behind the couch while I laid my head back and began to give me an incredible face massage. When I used to work (way back when), my work place had a spa, and we often got massages as gifts from the owners. Mia did the face massage the exact same way as they would have done it back then. She even knew the pressure points to focus on. Unbelievable!!! I am always amazed at the schooling that she has been able to receive over here. In the US people would probably be VERY skeptical of a 2nd grader taking a massage class, but it is so amazing to see the benefits of these opportunities she has - I wish I could go to school with her :-). There are only 5 girls in the class (all good friends), and they take it so seriously. I would never have thought to teach a child this, but just like cutting with a sharp knife early on - why not???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment