For some reason, it makes me feel better to write this down, I feel like by complaining, I am making a difference, even though I know I am not. So if you are reading this I totally apologize in advance... I am a type A personality. If I do something, I try to do it right, and as a result I might not take on so much. In order to do things "right", I feel like thought and time should go into it. With that said, I get sooooooooo irritated with the school that Camden goes to. (With Bailey's school, it is not so bad this year, because she has 8 different classes and the kids have a bit of freedom, so far it has not been so bad - although I totally do disagree on spending tax dollars so that every student has their own laptop - I honestly don't think they will become any brighter in the least as a result!). Camden's school on the other hand.... The 6th grade is still at the elementary school. I see how Mia's German elementary school is run, and it makes perfect sense to me. Teach the kids what they need to learn, and then go home. They are home by 11 or 12 each morning (even in the 2nd grade), and they are further advanced than the second graders at Camden's school. They also do not have to line up in ridiculous lines, they don't have to be quiet during lunch (because they do not eat lunch at school), and best of all, they have PLENTY of time to play!!!! As I approached Camden's school this morning, there was a teacher yelling at a child for walking on the grass, "Girlfriend...get off that grass!!!!) What a welcome to the school. Then you have the not so friendly secretary who required me to come into the school to fill out a scratch piece of paper, instead trusting that my 12 year old could safely turn in a piece of paper. Meanwhile, back at the German school, the teacher trusts the kids to tell their parents that they need to send in money because tomorrow they are going on a field trip (no permission slip, no note, but it sure it does teach responsibility - and the kids all do great - why is that????? Then you have the full time principal AND full time Assistant principal who have no time today until 4:00 to meet with me for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, back at Mia's school the "Principal" also teaches 3rd grade full time. They have no assistant pricipal and no full time secretary. They are not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on salaries for administration. In defense of the teachers at Camden's school, they are expected to "entertain" the kids. They have no time to prepare, because they are in school ALL day, babysitting half the time. Mia's teacher has the entire afternoon to prepare, but there is no "fluff" - no flat stanley, no handmade calendar, no Polar express themed days, no surprise box, no homework signature checks by parents. They just get to teach!!!! The kids have time to play, and they are not exhausted by the time their evening activity (if they choose one) comes along.
There... I feel much better :-) I get so worked up about it (possibly too, because politically, I don't agree with where our country is headed, and I don't think future generations will be any better off as a result. Sometimes, if it is broken, it is helpful to look at situations that work in order to fix it. If you are still reading this, Thank you very much for listening to me complain :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I completely agree with you on schooling. The military recently moved us to Hawaii and we noticed the standards (which were already low) drop even further when we arrived here. I spent two years stationed in Italy with similar schools to what you've seen in Germany. I loved it!!! So this year we're homeschooling our kids and doing it European style. The standards are a lot higher. Both of my girls (Kindergarten) are doing the equivalent to 1st grade (back in our last state) and 2nd grade (Hawaii standards). They've already surpassed all the Kindergarten standards that Hawaii sets. Unfortunately with the Marine Corps we won't get to experience those schools overseas other than in Japan and the children still attend on base schools. Our Kindergarten aged girls are already learning a 2nd language this year. This year they are learning Russian. In 3 years they'll start French (once they have a solid enough base in Russian).
Post a Comment