Thursday, December 18, 2008

Just a few funny/interesting thoughts...


So, just to remind myself someday when I am old and grey looking back on our experience in Germany, I had a few funny and interesting things to mention....


*Yesterday while I was teaching my English Class, I asked the Children what they wanted for Christmas - it made me smile when one boy said a "Play Station Drei" (That is a Play Station 3 in English, but he says the word Drei) I guess that is what all little boys want no matter what part of the world that you come from :-)
*In my German Class, the Children wrote pen pal letters to our friend G.P's class in Georgia. They were so kind and sent Candy Canes to my class. The kids were so excited because Candy Canes are not a Christmas Staple here in Germany like they are in the U.S.They are very hard to come by (if available at all) - They absolutely loved them and were so excited to bring them home to show their parents - very cute!
*As I was walking home today from bringing Mia to Kindergarten, I smiled when I saw a Christmas Gift Bag sitting on a doorstep right in the middle of city as I walked by. The bag had no tissue paper in it, so you could plainly see that there were 2 bottles of wine in it. It made me smile at the fact that probably 200 plus people (including many students) had walked by and seen it and not one person touched it or stole it - it is so refreshing to see the honesty and respectfulness!

*I've been meaning to mention this one for a while: The Coca Cola Company has a drink that is exclusive to Germany called of all things: "The Spirit of Georgia". (See the picture above) When we first got here it made us smile to see this little "sign" from home. It is a tasty drink, but the funny thing is that the advertisements look more like Italian Vineyards in the background opposed to Georgia Peach Orchards :-) This is another thing makes us smile :-)
*So we were talking in the car the other day about the fact that we have ancesters who may have lived nearby and experienced some of what we experience today here in Germany. So Camden says to me "Do you think we may have had "anbrothers here too" (Get it: ansisters/anbrothers :-) Sometimes you think they are so grown up, but little things that they say remind you of how little they still are!
* We have our tree all decorated and have several gifts all wrapped underneath already. Our German friends came over and the little boy was shocked to see the tree with gifts. I felt so bad because apparently there tradition is that they put the tree up Christmas eve and open all of the gifts that evening. They then keep the tree up until Jan. 6th which is the day that the 3 kings came. His Mom had to do some quick talking to explain :-) Different cultures are so fun and interesting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like y'all are having so much fun. The Christmas markets look great. I don't know about the $25 peanut butter. I would have to pass. We are trying to get Chloe on to talk to you on tape so that we can send it to you. Hugs to everyone!! We miss you!
Courtnee

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I really liked your reflections; especially Camden's comment about the anbrothers. He is so like a little man (a good looking one at that). I guess we take too much for granted when we have conversations around the little folks. I have tried to get into the spirit, but it is difficult this year. Maybe some of that Georgia drink could do the job! ha. I know you are enjoying some cold weather. I think it will hit 70 Christmas Day. Yuk.......
Anyway, Merry Christmas and lots of hugs from gp.